Sunday, April 29, 2012

Getting Your Affairs in Order

Today for the bishop's fifth Sunday topic Sister Delores Hazzard, member of the Lakeview ward and a Hospice nurse, came and talked about what we need to do as individuals to get our affairs in order so that when we die our family is able to  take care of our estate.  She did a great job of covering a wide range of topics in a very short hour.

She gave us a 14 page handout that covers personal and medical information, location of important documents, insurance information, property, financial information, investments, and what the family needs to do at the time my death, funeral arrangements, and in the months immediately following my death.  She also talked about the importance of having an advance directive, health care power of attorney, and a living will.  I kept thinking how I wished my in-laws had better prepared and how much I wish my parents would be proactive about these matters as well!  I understand how difficult it is to envision yourself too ill or mentally incapacitated to make these decisions in the future or even dying and unable to convey your wishes to your family.  Those are the very reasons I need to make these difficult decisions now--while I can calmly think about, sort out my feelings, and make rational, thoughtful decisions not impulsive ones during a time of stress.

With the passing of Kevin's mom still fresh on our minds and the challenges of trying to find her documents and deal with her bills and payments,  I am determined to improve the situation for my family.  This is a difficult topic to deal with as I don't think anyone wants to face their own mortality but I know once it is done and dealt with a peace of mind will replace the uncomfortable feelings I currently have.

I am hoping that I can encourage LeeAnn, Nancy (since they are single), and my own children to begin this process as well.  We can never be over prepared for the unexpected!

No comments: