Thursday, June 7, 2012

Continuing My Quest

Today Tina and I set out for the Aultorest Mausoleum in Ogden, Utah to find Dennis Robins crypt.  I called the cemetery office and was given the code (1,3,5)--so obvious yet we didn't try that combination on Sunday--and basic directions to the baby crypts.

I have to admit I found the mausoleum a bit sobering and a little bit scary.  I can see why it is accessible only by code.  Too many dark hallways and if it were open to the general public could be an unsafe place to come alone!  We entered the main mausoleum doors and went up the stairs into the main room which I believe is referred to as the "chapel" area.   There were numerous hallways of crypts off the main room.  As we were exploring them, Tina noticed that the markers all indicated adult lifespans.  We explored all the hallways off the chapel--no success in finding a baby area.

We were about to abandon our search when I came upon a back staircase and went down it.  Success!  On the landing at the bottom of the staircase was a wall of baby crypts and there at the bottom left (as you face the wall) was the crypt of Dennis!

Dennis Robins' Crypt

Dennis Robins' Crypt Marker
As the story was told to me:
Dennis Robins was stillborn, the first child of Eloise Flint and Lee Watt Robins in Ogden, Utah.  Lee was working as a mortician's assistant at the mortuary.  Upon the birth of Dennis he took the baby and buried him in the crypt.  Eloise did not ever see or hold her baby.  I am unsure when they officially named him as the crypt does not bear a name.

It was really special to locate this tiny grave and to do it with Tina.  I feel like at least the next generation will be aware of where tiny Dennis' burial spot is located!

On the way home we stopped in Layton, Utah to locate and document the grave site of Kevin's aunt and uncle, Reed Flint and Kaye Henderson Flint.


I knew they were buried in the Lindquist Memorial Park near the Layton mortuary.  They are interred on a raised area in front of the mortuary saved for veterans near the flagpole.


I walked right to the marker!  Tina was impressed!  I took photos with both my camera and with my iphone app so that the images were preserved online as well as usable in my personal database.  It was a productive trip!

No comments: