Friday, August 3, 2012

LDS Conference Center Tour

 I have lived in Utah most of my adult life and it is an amazing place to live!  I decided to take a field trip to the LDS Conference Center and take a tour of this magnificient structure.  I persuaded my best friend, Shauna Steed, to join me on this adventure.  So we packed our cameras and headed to the conference center.
 The pictures of this amazing venue do not begin to capture the immense size and grandeur of this facility.  
 This quote is on a portrait of President Gordon B. Hinckley and was taken from the dedicatory prayer he offered at the dedication of the conference center.
 On the second floor is the Arnold Friberg gallery.  A collection of his paintings depicting events from the Book of Mormon are displayed there.  It was thrilling to see the original art I have come to love from Primary days.

 There were etched glass windows with the beehive, symbol of the state of Deseret.  It holds special meaning for me as my great-grandfather, Henry Maiben, supposedly designed the original beehive at the request of Brigham Young!

The fountains and waterfalls are breathtaking!
 And the skylights are spectacular!
 The view from the roof was all I had hoped it would be!  It provides a beautiful view Salt Lake City, especially temple square!

The rooftop has a beautiful fountain and water feature as well as a marble etching on the north end.  I was surprised to see native plants and trees in the gardens on the roof.  Out guide explained that it was in honor of the pioneers and the valley that welcomed them following their westward trek!

The Shauna's and their personal tour guide!
It was a wonderful tour and I am so glad I took the time and opportunity to explore this magnificent structure.

No comments: